Admins have to activate your account as we do not have email service for our domain. (We can't send emails with xendric.net)

Making a small bismuth crystal geode

Talk about chemistry!
Forum rules
Since science can be dangerous, please put a warning at the top of the post about any dangers, such as: Dangerous chemicals, high temperatures, low temperatures, etc.

Any posts we do not feel fit will be removed.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MCE626
Byte
Byte

Making a small bismuth crystal geode

Post by MCE626 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

WARNING: This experiment deals with high heat temperatures and molten metal. Although the metal itself isn't harmful, the temperature it is at during this experiment is. This post is not meant for you to also try, this is just for entertainment and/or education purposes. If you decide to do this, take precaution. The molten metal is at 520+ F!
This was a post on the old enjin.com site so I moved it here. It was originally posted on Oct 30, 15.

Hello! I made a small bismuth crystal a while ago, and thought of sharing. I did record video, but I don't know if I'll upload it or not. Sometime in the future, I'll get more bismuth to make a bigger crystal, maybe then I'll upload a video of that.

Anyway here are the pictures:
Elemental BismuthShow

Melting, pouring and uncut geodeShow
Melting:

Pouring:

Uncut geode

Bismuth crystal geodeShow

This was 1/2 lb of bismuth, which made a small geode crystal. I cut the top off with a hack saw, which took some work, and filed down the sharp edge from the cut. I took that top part piece, plus the dust from the cutting and remelted that. But I just made a bismuth ingot instead of another geode. I used my graphite crucible because I didn't have a pot to spare.

Bismuth melts at about 520 F (271 C) which is why I can melt it on the stove.

If you want to make your own crystal or just to have some, check out this video, and this link for getting bismuth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KYZHMkTHw
Get bismuth!

If you do this, be careful when heating.. Like I said above, bismuth melts at 520 F, so that pot or whatever you're melting the metal in is 520+ F, that will definitely cause burns.
Hope you enjoyed!

- Xendric Sciences - MCE626
- Xendric - MCE626

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable